International House Barcelona was founded in 1972 and has since grown into a major centre for language teaching, teacher training, study tours and related activities.
There are four main areas of activity in the school:
1) Teaching Spanish to students from all over the world
2) Teaching other languages (English, German and French) to the local population
3) Training teachers of Spanish and English
4) Sending students from Spain to study languages abroad
IH Barcelona currently has around 2,000 local people studying English, German and French in the school, so there is plenty of opportunity for our students of Spanish to meet native Spanish speakers, make friends and improve their fluency outside the classroom, in the bar, at social events, etc.
The fact that we also have a large out-going programme (we send more than 250 students to study language courses in different countries each year) clearly helps us to see things from an agent’s point of view. In other words, we know from our own experience what sort of issues tend to concern students most, and this helps us to ensure that the students who come to study Spanish with us are given the necessary help, care and attention.
The school is situated in the centre of the city – less than 5 minutes walk from Plaza Cataluña, which is the central square and communications hub of the city. The school occupies 6 floors of a large corner building, which has a distinctive, triangular shape (somewhat similar to the famous Flat Iron building in New York). The building dates from the beginning of the last century and has many attractive features: a very decorative street entrance, lots of natural light, high ceilings, a marble staircase, etc.
The school’s facilities include:
– 40 air-conditioned classrooms, all with natural light
– An Internet room which is free for students
– Interactive white boards in 75% of classrooms
– A library and a computer room offering complementary online Spanish courses via our sister company Net Languages.Online courses available for all students.
– A bar which is open all day providing hot and cold food and drinks
– A rooftop terrace where students can relax in the sunshine
– WiFi Internet connection available in the whole school
– Bathroom facilities for disabled students on floor B
The school’s main reception area is located on the ground floor (floor B), just inside the street entrance. The Spanish reception is located on the first floor (floor C).
See also: Barcelona Language Schools Guide