[dropcap]P[/dropcap]laça Reial (Royal Square), honoring King Ferdinand VII, is situated in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, next to La Rambla. It was completed in 1848 and was formerly the site of a convent. Confiscated in 1835, the convent was one of several destroyed along La Rambla as a result of laws that forced the Church … Read more
[dropcap]L[/dropcap]ocated in the heart of the Gothic Quarter near Plaça Reial, Viana Barcelona offers quality international cuisine along with tempting homemade cocktails. The restaurant prides itself in offering good prices and the best service they can. The interior has a modern style, designed by Antonio Iglesias Montouto, who also worked on the fashionable Restaurante Arume … Read more
BCN Painting Route, located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, features original high quality oil and acrylic paintings. Many subjects of these paintings represent the inspirational urban landscapes and historic icons of the city of Barcelona. Address: Carrer dels Lledó, 17, 08002 Barcelona Phone: 933 19 91 78 Website: www.bcnpaintingroute.com
Rasoterra opened in 2013 and is owned by the presidents of Slow Food Barcelona. Located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, their vegetarian and vegan menu offers dishes based on recipes from around the world. Tapas ranges from local favorites such as Pa amb tomàquet (bread with tomato & organic arbequina olive oil) and the … Read more
[dropcap]K[/dropcap]oy Shunka (meaning intense seasonal flavor) opened in 2008 following the success of the more informal Shunka restaurant. Located in the heart of the Gothic quarter near the cathedral, the restaurant serves Japanese cuisine using fresh Mediterranean ingredients. Viewed by many as the best Japanese restaurant in the city, Koy Shunka received a Michelin Star in … Read more
[dropcap]M[/dropcap]ilk was opened by an Irish couple in 2005 and has since grown to be among the most popular restaurants and cocktail bars in the area, frequented by expats and locals alike. The interior is cozy and intimate, with luxurious sofas, gilded frames, antique chandeliers and wallpaper by Australian designer Florence Broadhurst. The menu and wine … Read more
The Temple of Augustus was built in the late first century BC in the Roman colony of Barcino. Many temples dedicated to Augustus, the first Roman emperor, were built in the territories of the Roman Empire.
Barcino’s full name was Colonia Favencia Julia Augusta Paterna Barcino, meaning favored Colony Barcino of Father Julius Augustus. The temple remained part of Barcino’s city forum for over four centuries.
The remains of the temple can be seen inside the medieval building at Carrer del Paradís number 10, in the heart of the Gothic Quarter. The 9 meter high Corinthian columns formed the back corner of the temple which was 37 metres long and 17 metres wide. Outside the building, a millstone marks the highest point of the Roman city, Mont Tàber. The temple was reconstructed early in the 20th century by the Catalan Spanish Modernista architect Puig i Cadafalch.