The Museu Frederic Marès is an art and sculpture museum, housed in the Royal Palace of the Counts of Barcelona, located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter. The original courtyard garden is still intact and lies at the entrance.
The museum is made up of the collections of Frederic Marès (1893-1991), which he donated to the city of Barcelona in 1944. The museum was inaugurated two years later. The collection is divided into two main parts; the sculpure collection and the collection of historical everyday objects.
Marès collected a wide variety of Hispanic sculpture from ancient times to the nineteenth century. His own sculptures are also on display in his studio library.
Marès also collected thousands of everyday objects that reveal customs and the way of life from the 15th to 19th centuries, which are kept in a part of the museum referred to as Collector’s Cabinet.