Torre Salvana is an abandoned castle located near the entrance to Colònia Güell, about 23km south-west of Barcelona. Architecturally, it is Romanesque with Gothic modifications. It was named a Cultural Heritage Site in 1988.
The first historical reference dates back to 992 when Counts Ramón and Ermengol sold the property to Ènnec Bofill. At that time it was called Torre d’Eles. As a result of the Catalan Civil War in 1224 the castle was partially destroyed. In 1297 it was bought by King Jaume II and in 1390 it was sold to the city of Barcelona.
After Barcelona had fallen on September 11, 1714 of the War of Succession, Torre Salvana was confiscated for having supported Archduke Carlos III against Philip V of Spain. Since then and until the end of the eighteenth century, Torre Salvana has been part of the patrimony of the Marquesses of Manresana and Santa Maria de Barberà.
Torre Salvana is famous for paranormal activity and is recognised as one of the most haunted places in Catalonia, earning the nickname Castillo del Infierno (Castle of Hell).
Casino de la Rabassada
In 1899 the Grand Hotel de la Rabassada was built and it was extended in 1911 with the construction of a casino designed by the architect Andreu Audet i Puig. The glamorous casino was built during a period of economic expansion and prosperity in Barcelona. It featured an amusement park with a roller coaster, an elaborate restaurant with chefs from Paris and an orchestra. The gardens were planted with exotic plants from across the globe. The casino was famous for roulette and as a place where great fortunes were quickly made and lost. During the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera, the game was forbidden and the casino fell into disuse.
La Ciudad de los Muchachos de Collserola
The ruins of orphanages inspired by Father Flanagan remain along the path of Sant Medir in Collserola.
Mirador del Semàfor
The Mirador del Semàfor was built in 1887 to regulate coastal shipping traffic. The building was designed to communicate with the castle of Montjuïc through the use of flags to warn of possible incidents or shipwrecks.
La Mussara, near Tarragona is a town dating back to the 12th century that has been abandoned since 1959. Among the various ruined buildings, the church of San Salvador with a bell tower from 1859 stands out.
Torre del Governador
Torre del Governador is situated in the town of Alella to the north of Barcelona. It was owned by Enric de Cardona and Erill, governor general of Catalonia towards the end of the 16th century and then belonged to the counts of Santa Coloma (18th and 19th centuries). In 1890 it was acquired by Antoni Borrell Folch, a politician and financier. Borrell commissioned modernist architect General Guitart and Lostaló to build the most emblematic elements of the building. Borrell stated in his will that he wanted the property to be used for education. Torre del Governador was used as a school until 2001, when it was sold.
Hospital del Tórax
Hospital del Tórax is a former hospital located in the north of the city of Terrassa, north of Barcelona. It housed patients with respiratory diseases from 1952 to 1997. The building has been partially reformed and is used by the Audiovisual Park of Catalonia.
The Preventorio Marítimo La Sabinosa was built in 1929. It is located on a small peninsula between the beaches of la Rabassada and la Sabinosa in Tarragona, Catalunya. It was originally built to house patients suffering from tuberculosis and during the Spanish Civil war it was used to care for wounded Republicans who had participated in the Battle of the Ebro. It was later used to house children who were left orphaned by the Civil War. The complex of buildings has been abandoned since 1976.
Hotel Colonia Puig
The Hotel Colonia Puig, located at the foot of the sanctuary of Montserrat was formerly a war hospital.
Balneario de La Puda de Montserrat
La Puda de Montserrat is an ancient spa of Esparreguera (Baix Llobregat) located on the left bank of the Llobregat river. It is said that it was an earthquake that caused sulphurous waters to emerge in this place since the eighteenth century. In 1870 the spa was built and during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries it was visited by the Barcelona bourgeoisie. It was closed in 1958, destroyed by a flood of the river and is currently in ruins.